Saturday, May 26, 2012

DAY 5 ASHLAND TO CHARLOTTESVILLE 46 MILES

Wow, and Holy cow, the last two nights of tent camping were the wildest I have ever spent in a tent! Lightning, thunder, and torrential rain pretty much all night! I honestly thought that I would have a river come and wash me and my tent away. But…I’m still here, alive and well. The highlight of today’s ride was to visit Monticello, the home of Thomas Jefferson. Jefferson, our third president was the author of the Declaration of Independence, a scientist, an explorer, an inventor, and a horticulturist. He also authorized the Lewis and Clark Expedition which set out to discover a water pathway to the Pacific. The grounds and the garden areas are truly phenomenal! The garden area is at least 600 feet long and contains hundreds of heirloom varieties of flowers and vegetables. Our lodging tonight is a hostel in Charlottesville, with separate bunkhouses for men and women. I slept like a baby. Tomorrow we ride up to and along the Blue Ridge Parkway.

No comments:

Post a Comment